Apparently it was too high.

Adventures in family-building

June 21, 2006

There's always more to nothing

Far too soon, your child stops mispronouncing words in that precious way they do. Logurt gives way to yogurt. Boke gives way to broken. Mommy gives way to Mom. Molo gives way to merlot. (<--- heh... just kidding.) But there are still irresistable treasures to be had from the mouths of babes long after they figure out basic pronounciations. They will reveal little gems of wisdom, little vignettes on life, rhetoretical questions that make you ponder. We have taken to calling our son Zen Master Trevor at times. Here are a few recent treats:

* Trevor checked out a Japanese anime comic book at the library, the kind you read right to left. It's Dragon Ball Z for those keeping track. The dialogue is written in the form of speech balloons coming from each character. One of the balloons had nothing but a 3-dot ellipses in it: ... Trevor pointed this out to me and said, "That means there's more of whatever was before it. But there's always more to nothing."

* I mentioned to Trevor the other day that something was going to happen "in a week and a half". He informed me that was impossible. "Why," I asked, "is that impossible?" "Because a week has 7 days, and 7 is not an even number, so there can't be a half of it." Oh. Huh.

* We go through a 4-way stop sign on our way to school every day. I burst a few blood vessles because of the frustration this causes me every morning, since most of the free world doesn't seem to know how to wait their turn at a 4-way stop. I generally mutter a few curses under my breath and pronounce the offending drivers as "complete nincompoops" when I finally make it through the intersection. However, once in a blue moon, everyone seems to wait their turn. One morning after a particularly rough 4-way, I told Trevor, "I get mad every day going through that stop sign." He said, "Mom, remember that day when everyone waited their turn? You should think of that morning every time we go through this stop sign, then you'll always be happy." Wow.

* Paul was out of town for a few days last week. I rented a movie for Trevor and I to watch (Sky High, it was a hit, so campy and cheesy but hilarious). On our new fancy-schmancy big TV set, you have to turn on several machines - the computer, the TV, the DVD player, and the stereo, to get the movie to play correctly. This involves no less than 3 remote controls. I finally had everything working but the audio, and I yelled to Trevor in the other room, "I have everything working but the sound!" He yelled back, "I'll fix it when I get in there, Mom. Dad and I are boys and we know about that stuff." Insert giant eye-roll here. For the record, I DID get the audio working myself, me, a mere girl!

* Trevor was experiencing consternation that a friend of his is 2 months older than himself, this being a very important measure of self at his age. He informed me that if time stopped for the whole world except for him for a period of 2 months, then when everyone started up again, he would be the same age as his friend. I think Trevor has a future in quantum physics.

* Upon discussing a particular bible verse, Trevor asked, "Mom, when God was telling us the bible, did He give us the numbers to the verses, too?" Darn good question, if I do say myself.


Another update on the adoption will be forthcoming next week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and have really enjoyed reading it. Your story is so much like mine I can't believe it. Your thoughts on parenting an only child, preparing friends and relatives for the referral picture, reasons for adopting, etc. Once I get my blog up and running I'm going to give my friends and relatives the same instructions. Thank you for giving me a great idea. I look forward to following your journey in China.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home