Apparently it was too high.

Adventures in family-building

June 3, 2006

Price of Tea

I'll bet you're wondering what the title of our blog has to do with the price of tea in China. Well let me tell you about it. Part of the adoption process in the USA, no matter where you are adopting from, is the dreaded Home Study. I was very stressed about the Home Study. I imagined Gladys Kravitz walking in our house with her white gloved hands, rubbing her fingers to see if we had dirt on top of our picture frames (we would have failed miserably). Sometimes I pictured Dr. Phil probing our psyches, asking us deeply personal questions, to see if we had dirt in our brains (we would have failed miserably). It was truly the part of the adoption process I dreaded the most.

Instead, we were wonderfully pleased with the social worker (MSW) we chose, a lovely woman named Beverly. She is such a blessing! She was wonderful and easy to work with, very supportive, very positive. It turned out to be one of the easiest parts of the whole adoption! Even when we told her our deep, dark secrets, she still approved us to adopt a child from China. (Oh people, stop salivating... our secrets aren't that bad. You know most of them anyway. Most of them. Most.)

Nonetheless, we had to answer the "Home Study Questionnaire", a 9-page hand-written behemoth, answering some questions that, um, take some thought. On what the most proper way to phrase something might be. We wanted to be truthful, but my goodness... some of those questions were doozies. It was in answering them that I came up with the title for our blog. Some of the questions made me think to myself, "What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?!?" And then I found myself oh so very witty to think of that phrase. Because we are adopting from China. And the phrase is about China. Ha ha ha. Isn't that hilarious? I slay me.

Here are some of the questions. Think about what you'd say if you had to answer them for a stranger to read. It was challenging.

How would you describe your anger style? What kinds of things make you angry in daily life? (All other drivers)

Did you feel the discipline your parents used was appropriate? (Of course I did, Mother.)

What do you wish your parents had done differently? (Absolutely nothing!)

Any experience with drugs and alcohol? (I don't even know what you're talking about.)

How did you feel about your first sexual experience? Was it funny? (Um... um... um....) (*** Note: This was the question that actually prompted me to ask what that had to do with the price of tea in China. I believe "absolutely nothing" is the answer.)

What are the areas of your marriage that need improving? (How could marriage to a perfect man possibly be improved?)

Please describe use of alcohol. (As often as necessary! Be right back... off to fill up my wine glass....)

Describe the personality of your siblings while growing up and now. (Ha ha ha! HA HA HA! MWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!! >:-) (I am kidding. We are blessed with lovely sisters and brothers.)


So yes, we answered all these and more, honestly. And we were still approved. AND we read each other's answers to the questions. And we are still married.

After the adoption is complete, these forms will be burned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You simply must ask your wonderful social worker why they could possibly care if your first sexual experience was funny.

Funny? Like a joke funny? Or funny like awkward funny? or funny like ticklish funny?

The other questions seem like they might perhaps provide some insight into something about you - even if they are quite weird. But the funny sexual experiences? What in the world would that possibly tell them about you? Odd, quite odd.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home