Apparently it was too high.

Adventures in family-building

August 24, 2008

Momma jump starts the mini-van, with too much help

By Not-the-momma.

The mini-van has automatic closing doors. We are a distracted family and twice a door has been left open inside the garage all night. This would be fine, but our mini-van is not smart enough to turn off the interior lights when this happens, so the battery was low in the morning, the second time.

I had taken public transportation to work. That is another story, but it means my car was at home with a good battery but also I can't just run home.

So Andrea calls me and I start to walk her through the process.

First up, our bikes hang from the garage ceiling over my hood, so the hood on my car could not be raised. Andrea had to pull my car out, take down the bikes, then pull the car back in and open the hood.

Then I talked her through the process all the way up to the last connection on the good car. I mention there might be a little spark and Andrea stops. She has heard about car batteries exploding and all the children are either strapped into the mini-van or leaning over the hood. Not going to do it. Note to self: Don't mention 'There might be a tiny spark" when explaining things.

Andrea gets a neighbor to help and tries again. I guess it is a little known fact that battteries don't blow up if there is a neighbor present. With some additional phone support the van is started.

Andrea walks the neighor out and exchanges some pleasantries and says goodbye.

Andrea comes back to the garage to find the van off!. The oldest child has decided to turn the mini-van off to "prevent the battery from running out!" Frustrated, but with her fresh experience Andrea is able to restart it.

No, not done yet with story yet. The van's sliding doors are electric and they are confused so they won't shut. More phone support, but I am not really Googling anything on stuck open doors. Eventually, we found that they will close manually if you are determined enough. That reset them and she was on her way one hour later and drenched in sweat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home