Apparently it was too high.

Adventures in family-building

September 11, 2008

Two Years: A Day in the Life

It was two years ago, September 10, 2006, that in a huge conference room in a fancy hotel in Nanchang, Jiangxi, China, various orphanage staff brought 14 baby girls to their new parents. What a crazy, wild half hour that was! Crying babies, stunned parents. I think most of us parents say we can't remember a lot of details about that moment. Others remember it in exquisite detail, as if the world slowed down to slow motion. In either case, it is a split second of time that is seared in our memories.

So what is life like for little Zhang Cai Miao, whisked from small-city China to big-city Texas at the age of 9 months? A pictoral essay for you follows.


At 8:30 in the morning, Mommy comes to wake me up - but I'm already awake and smiling!














I want to help "wake up" baby Simon. But he's been awake off and on for hours.














Time for breakfast. I had a bagel with peanut butter, strawberries, and cheese.














Taking care of business.














Time to hug Simon again.














Dressed for the day and posing for Mommy!



















We got to meet Daddy for lunch.














Two-year-olds can have fun with anything (this is a tortilla).














Time for ballet class. I'm a natural!



















Waking up from nap - I'm not very cooperative at this time of day. You'll notice I have on another outfit. Lunch does that to me sometimes.














Mommy got out the outfit I was wearing when she got me two years ago, and the bottle that came with me. It's kind of tight now.



















See? Here I am, wearing it two years earlier, to the day!














Before dinner with our friends, a picture of my whole family.














Goofing off with choptsticks.














Me and my best friend Greta. She is from the same small town in China I am from, and was adopted the same day.



















My Mommy said getting two two-year-olds to pose is not easy.

















My Daddy wants some pictures of me in my pretty "Red Couch" dress.


















I am getting so big!


















I am REALLY tired of having pictures taken of me today.



















But I'll dance a little before bed and Daddy can take one more picture!








And here I am wearing the same pretty dress two years ago in China!















2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your pictures and your story is really beautiful. Happy Anniversary!

Kellie

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I love the photo journal of the day!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home