Apparently it was too high.

Adventures in family-building

July 23, 2006

Double Happiness

Double Happiness by Not-the-Momma
I recently finished an audio book. The title: Stumbling on Happiness sounded like a cheerful title. Actually, it is more than seven hours of scientific studies proving that you constantly make poor choices that will not make you happy. You remember the past better than it was and you predict the future will be better than it will really be. It turns out the only time you can accurately judge your happiness is right now.

Parenting is held up as an example of something that, as newlyweds, we predict will make us very happy and, as empty nesters, we recall as making us happy, but alas studies show parents are less happy than newlyweds or empty nesters. I thought this was odd so I paid attention to yesterday. What happened and how happy it made me.

I woke up late. Trevor hugged me before I got to the kitchen, +1
Trevor made three paper airplanes and let me fly them with him, +1
After Trevor had eaten lunch, I offered to take him to McDonalds and let him play while I ate, however he would not get a Happy Meal toy. He decided not to go since he would not get a toy. Five minutes later, as I was biting into the sandwich I made, he changed his mind. Sending him to his room crying, -2 He came out of his room five minutes later and climbed into my lap, +1
Trevor has a bad personal habit. I offered ice cream if he could keep from doing it while we were shopping for an hour. Crying when he “forgot” 10 minutes later, -1
I gave him a second chance and he was successful for the rest of the hour. We both got ice cream, +2
At bed time Trevor and I snuggled while we watched a black and white movie on the big screen TV, +5

Yes, in the past, there were a rough few weeks between when the 3AM diapers started smelling like sh*t and Trevor’s first smile to reward me for changing them. In the future, I can’t guarantee that age 16 will be as fun as age 6. But, science has proven that right now is the only time you can accurately predict your happiness and being a parent makes me happy, right now.
I can’t wait for baby Go-Go and “Double Happiness”.

PS- The correct windows are installed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home